A couple weekends ago, I spent 20 hours in the car to and from Zion National Park in Utah. I’ve heard about Zion and seen pictures, but never been there and it was a trip I was looking forward to take. However, I honestly had no idea what I was getting myself into… I just said YES.
Looking back at 10 miles and 8 hours later, we finally finished the hike to Observation Point. Let me tell you, it was not as easy as I though. Why?
- I was rusty. I had not hiked for about 1.5 years so I was pretty much out of shape for going up hills (sad, but the truth)
- I knew we were hiking to the top, but I didn’t exactly know how long it would take at the time.
- With every switchback, there were more and more 45 degree hills I had to climb. When was it going to end??
- I wanted to keep going to prove to myself that I can make it. Not only that, we drove across 3 states. I was finishing it!
- I was totally lagging, but it helped that I had my friends there to encourage me to keep going. I don’t know what I would do without my support system.
- People along the way were very nice and encouraging as well. Yay for strangers and their kindness. Definitely helped perk me up.
- When I finally made it, it was unbelievable. The view, the accomplishment! It felt so good to achieve something when sometimes, you think you’re not going to make it.
When you’re working on a project or jumping into a relationship you’re unsure about or has many obstacles, make sure that:
- You don’t give up
- Give yourself encouragement
- Find your support system
- Ask for help when you need to
- Keep open communication
- Look back and appreciate what you have accomplished
Like my hike, not every relationship or project you tackle is easy. Sometimes at work, you get a task that you’ve never done before, asked a question that you don’t know, or engage in a complicated relationship with your team. In a romantic relationship, it could be that you’re jumping into a new relationship or fighting with your significant other. But life is not always going to throw you lemons so you can’t expect that everything will be easy. However, the reward will be greater if you can work through the issues and achieve it. Just know that you don’t have to do it alone!